banner
Woman dies after contracting rare tick-borne virus

The family of a Missouri woman who died from a rare tick-borne illness is speaking out about the dangers of the virus, which has only been confirmed in a handful of patients since it was discovered in 2014. Tamela Wilson, who died June 23 of complications stemming from Bourbon virus, had worked at Meramec State ..
Read More…

banner
Stevia could offer cure for Lyme disease, researchers say

Stevia, a common coffee sweetener, could be a possible cure for Lyme disease after tests conducted by a Connecticut professor and her students showed it was most effective in treating the tick-borne illness.  Professor Eva Sapi, chairwoman of University of New Haven’s Department of Biology and Environmental Science, and her students have been testing the ..
Read More…

banner
Measles outbreak kills 35 across Europe

A measles outbreak has killed 35 people across Europe in the past year, with the World Health Organization (WHO) calling the deaths an “unacceptable tragedy.” “We are very concerned that although a safe, effective and affordable vaccine is available, measles remains a leading cause of death among children worldwide, and unfortunately Europe is not spared,” ..
Read More…

banner
Exactly what to do if you get a tick bite

Just found a tick on your skin? Don’t panic. It usually takes about 36 hours for it to adhere, feed, and transfer the bacteria that causes Lyme disease. Meaning: If you remove it during that period, it likely hasn’t had a chance to infect you. Here’s how to get that sucker off safely and what ..
Read More…

banner
Sandbox sickness: Diarrhea-causing bacteria found in playgrounds

What’s lurking in the playground sandbox? A new small study from Spain may confirm some of parents’ worst fears: There are dangerous germs in there. In the new study, the researchers tested sandboxes, looking for the bacterium Clostridium difficile , or "C. diff." The scientists not only detected C. diff, but also found that it ..
Read More…

banner
Parasitic worm in walrus meat infects 10 people in Alaska

Ten people in Alaska were recently infected with what is now a relatively rare parasitic worm that they got from eating walrus meat, according to a new report. The cases occurred between July 2016 and May 2017, the report said. All 10 were infected with a parasitic worm called Trichinella, that they likely got from ..
Read More…

banner
4 weird things that may trigger food allergies and sensitivities in adults

You can’t open a health magazine these days without reading story after story about gluten. (Yes, we’re guilty of catering to reader interest when it comes to the controversial grain protein.) But while our collective gluten obsession has probably gone a little overboard, the science on gluten helps underscore the complexity of our digestive systems ..
Read More…

banner
WHO warns of untreatable superbug gonorrhoea found in at least 3 patients

Health officials are warning about untreatable “superbug” strains of gonorrhoea that has spread to at least three people worldwide. The World Health Organization (WHO) said its likely being spread to others through sex. “The bacteria that cause gonorrhoea are particularly smart,” Teodora Wi, a human reproduction specialist at WHO, said in a news release. “Every ..
Read More…

banner
Hantavirus outbreak kills 3 in Washington, sickens 2 others

A Spokane man has become Washington state’s third fatality in an outbreak of the rodent-borne hantavirus that’s struck a total of five victims in the state since February. The man, who was in his 50s, was likely exposed to the respiratory illness in a barn in Adams County, according to the Spokane Regional Health District ..
Read More…

banner
Dartmouth student diagnosed with mumps

Health officials confirmed on Wednesday that a Dartmouth College student has a case of the mumps and has been placed in isolation. A statement said the school’s health providers are working with state officials to manage and test students with potential symptoms of the disease. Students are being asked to contact Dartmouth College Health Services ..
Read More…

banner
West Nile virus case confirmed in Mississippi

Health officials in Mississippi are confirming a human case of West Nile virus. This is the second documented occurrence of the disease for the Magnolia State. Mississippi State Department of Health epidemiologist Dr. Paul Byers warned of peak season for the virus in a statement released on Wednesday. WHY MOSQUITOES ARE A WORLDWIDE THREAT "While ..
Read More…

banner
Clif Bar issues recall over nut allergy complaints

Clif Bar & Company has issued a recall for three different flavors of protein bars over potential undeclared nuts in the product that have resulted in customer complaints of allergic reactions. The products are sold nationwide, with two of the flavors marketed specifically to children. TRAFFIC STOP ENDS IN BIRTH OF BABY GIRL The voluntary ..
Read More…

banner
Heartburn drugs tied to greater mortality

Widely used heartburn drugs are associated with increased risk of death, and the longer a person uses the drugs, the greater the risk, new research suggests. Proton pump inhibitors or PPIs, have been tied to a wide range of side effects including fractures, dementia, heart disease, pneumonia and kidney disease, the study’s senior author Dr. ..
Read More…

banner
Why mosquitoes are considered a worldwide threat

Viewers of Discovery Channel’s new "MOSQUITO" documentary will get an inside look at the fascinating and terrifying little bug that has the potential to create worldwide havoc.  “Because of the way we live these days, we are all vulnerable,” director Su Rynard told Fox News, noting that changes like increased urbanization and travel have contributed ..
Read More…

banner
Parents of brain-damaged baby lose fight to keep him on life support

The mother and father of a brain-damaged 11-month-old baby on Friday were sitting bedside with the boy after losing a legal battle that would have kept the boy on life support. The Wall Street Journal reported that doctors at the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London, who are caring for Charlie Gard received ..
Read More…

banner
Rat lungworm explained: What to know about the parasite found in Florida

A "rat lungworm" parasite has been found in multiple Florida counties, according to University of Florida researchers. Why should you worry? Escargot lovers may become infected with the parasite if they eat raw or undercooked snails.  Here’s what you should know about the parasitic roundworm, Angiostrongylus cantonensis, and how it can be avoided.  Where is the parasite ..
Read More…

banner
Brain-eating amoeba found in Louisiana drinking water, officials say

Traces of a deadly brain-eating amoeba were found in a water system in a parish in Louisiana this month, but officials said the water is safe to consume. The brain-eating amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri is a “single-celled living organism found in warm freshwater and soil,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). ..
Read More…

banner
‘Alarming’ rat lungworm parasite spreading through Florida, researchers warn

A parasite that can cause meningitis in humans and animals is spreading throughout the state of Florida, with health officials fearing that it may be in other areas throughout the southern U.S. The parasitic roundworm, known as rat lungworm, is native to Hawaii and tropical locations, and while small studies have previously placed it in ..
Read More…

banner
Legionnaires outbreak at The Guest House at Graceland sickens 3

Health officials have confirmed a Legionnaires outbreak at The Guest House at Graceland hotel stemming from the aquatic facilities. The Shelby County Health Department (SCHD) said three people have been diagnosed with the bacterial infection, and that the aquatic facilities have been closed. Legionnaires disease is caused by Legionella bacteria, which is typically found in ..
Read More…

banner
‘Microneedle’ patch promises painless flu vaccine

Would you be more likely to get your flu vaccine if, instead of getting a shot, you could simply stick a patch on your skin? A small new study suggests that such a patch is safe to use and that people preferred it to a shot. In the study, which was a phase I clinical ..
Read More…